In a day approximately 5000-8000 homes in the U.S experience a home invasion or break in. According to FBI crime report, two thirds of all the burglaries occur through forced entry. Most of the house owners often focus on the security of their home but fails to protect their garage as thoroughly. In Boise, many forced entries have been recorded as a result of lack of security in the garages.
Garage door is a common weak point when looking at security in a whole home approach making them an easier target for burglars. Addition to this, they can also act as a shelter to them. Open garage doors do not look out of place for any casual pedestrian. Read below to know about the five most important things you can do to secure your garage,
- If your garage door opener is old, try to replace it with a new one. In the older version, the remotes used have the same code or a user determined single code that was easy to crack. Modern garage door have an excellent coding technology that each time you press the remote button, different code was transmitted to open the door. This makes the code incredibly hard to decode.
- Other than the technological flaw given above, security flaw can be physical too. With all the garage doors comes a safety release. This is positioned at the dead centre to the door of the garage. If an intruder inserts a hanger through the top and manages to snag it onto the latch to which the red handle connects to, all he has to do is to give it a firm thug. The safety latch gets released and the garage door will open.
- To avoid this thread a sturdy zip tie to the hole where the red handle was tied to the hole at the opposing end of the latch where the safety latch was attached to the door by means of a spring. Hangers are not strong enough to break it but you can easy break it yourself with the red handle with a strong pull.
- Do not leave the garage door opener remote in your car or any other place that is easily accessible. If a thief gets access to the remote then he has access to your home.
- Maintain the garage doors without any neglect. Many stores are available for any garage door repairs in Boise. Also, check for any signs of corrosion.
- Ensure that the door between the garage and the house is as secured as your front door. Installing a wide angle peep hole can help you to check out the garage if you hear any strange noise.
Why risk the terrible consequences of a burglary when there are preventive measures against it? Pay more attention to the house security and protect your property and your loved ones.